Star Sailors League SA (“SSL”, “us”, “we”, or “our”) organizes Star Sailors League Events, one of the pinnacle events in the sport of sailing, including SSL Finals and SSL Gold Cup and organizes and manages the SSL Global Ranking.
SSL operates the websites: https://www.starsailors.com, https://goldcup.starsailors.com/privacy-policy/, and the SSL Gold Cup National teams websites (hereinafter referred to as the “Service”).
This policy explains when and why we collect personal information, how we use it and how we keep it secure and your rights in relation to it. This page informs you of our policies regarding the collection, use and disclosure of personal data when you use our Service and the choices you have associated with that data.
We also comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) when dealing with your personal data. Further details on the GDPR can be found at the website: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection_en
For the purposes of the GDPR, Star Sailors League (SSL office) will be the “controller” of all personal data we hold about you.
- Service Service is the https://www.starsailors.com, https://goldcup.starsailors.com/privacy-policy/, and the SSL Gold Cup National teams websites operated by Star Sailors League SA
- Personal Data Personal Data means data about a living individual who can be identified from those data (or from those and other information either in our possession or likely to come into our possession).
- Usage Data Usage Data is data collected automatically either generated by the use of the Service or from the Service infrastructure itself (for example, the duration of a page visit).
- Cookies Cookies are small files stored on your device (computer or mobile device).
- Data Processors (or Service Providers) Data Processor (or Service Provider) means any natural or legal person who processes the data on behalf of the Data Controller. We may use the services of various Service Providers in order to process your data more effectively.
- Data Subject (or User) Data Subject is any living individual who is using our Service and is the subject of Personal Data.
Who We Are
We are the Star Sailors League S.A. (SSL) and can be contacted at: email@example.com
Types of Data Collected
We may ask you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you (“Personal Data”). Personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to:
- Email address
- First name and last name
- Phone number
- Address, State, Province, ZIP/Postal code, City
- Cookies and Usage Data
We may use your Personal Data to contact you with newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving any, or all, of these communications from us by following the unsubscribe link or the instructions provided in any email we send.
We may also collect information on how the Service is accessed and used (“Usage Data”). This Usage Data may include information such as your computer’s Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our Service that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
We may use and store information about your location if you give us permission to do so (“Location Data”). We use this data to provide features of our Service, to improve and customize our Service.
You can enable or disable location services when you use our Service at any time by way of your device settings.
Tracking & Cookies Data
Cookies are files with a small amount of data which may include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent to your browser from a website and stored on your device. Other tracking technologies are also used such as beacons, tags and scripts to collect and track information and to improve and analyze our Service.
You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, if you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of our Service.
Examples of Cookies we use:
- Session Cookies. We use Session Cookies to operate our Service.
- Preference Cookies. We use Preference Cookies to remember your preferences and various settings.
- Security Cookies. We use Security Cookies for security purposes.
Use of Data
Star Sailors League SA uses the collected data for various purposes:
- To provide and maintain our Service
- To notify you about changes to our Service
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our Service when you choose to do so
- To provide customer support
- To gather analysis or valuable information so that we can improve our Service
- To monitor the usage of our Service
- To detect, prevent and address technical issues
- To provide you with news, special offers and general information about other goods, services and events which we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about unless you have opted not to receive such information
Sailors’ and team staff Personal Data
We may collect sailors’ and team staff Personal Data for the following purpose:
- Entry to and participation in SSL events,
- SSL books, newsletters, and SSL communications,
- Managing categories of events which are age related,
- Provision of adequate facilities at event venues,
- Managing categories of events which are gender related,
- Reporting gender information to World Sailing,
- Managing the SSL Global Ranking,
- Sharing events results with the hosts of the events, and providing event results to local, national and international media,
- Allocating entries at the SSL events based on the rank of the SSL Global Ranking,
- Posting on the SSL website, books, social media pages and using in press releases.
Legal Basis for Processing Personal Data under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Star Sailors League SA may process your Personal Data because:
- We need to perform a contract with you
- You have given us permission to do so
- The processing is in our legitimate interests and it is not overridden by your rights
- For payment processing purposes
- To comply with the law
What Information we Collect and Why
|Type of Information||Purpose||Legal Basis of processing|
|Personal Data||To contact or identify you||For the purpose of our legitimate interest in operating the SSL, and/or for performing a contract with you.|
|To provide and maintain our Service, to notify you about changes to our Service, to allow you to participate in interactive features of our Service when you choose to do so, to gather analysis or valuable information so that we can improve our Service, to monitor the usage of our Service, To detect, prevent and address technical issues.||For the purpose of our legitimate interest in operating the SSL.|
|To contact you with newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to you.||For the purpose of our legitimate interest. You may opt out of receiving any, or all, of these communications from us by following the unsubscribe link or the instructions provided in any email we send.|
|To provide you with news, special offers and general information about other goods, services and events which we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about unless you have opted not to receive such information||For the purpose of our legitimate interest|
|Competitor’s name, address telephone #, email, date of birth||Entry to and participation in SSL events||For the purpose of our legitimate interest in operating the SSL and holding and managing events. This information will be shared with SSL regatta organizers (clubs) for the purpose of administering the events|
|SSL books, newsletters, and SSL communications||For the purposes of our legitimate interest of communicating information directly to sailors via email or mail|
|Sailor’s date of birth/age||Managing categories of events which are age related||For the purposes of our legitimate interests in holding events for the benefit of sailors.
For the purposes of colleting this information for the sailor’s profile for the SSL Global Ranking. This information (used for the SSL Global Ranking) are sent by the sailors or are open to the public, already published on websites (sailor’s website, Wikipedia, sailing federations) or social media
|Sailor’s gender||Provision of adequate facilities at event venues||For the purposes of our legitimate interests in making sure that the event hosts can provide sufficient and suitable facilities including changing rooms and toilets to each gender at events.|
|Managing categories of events which are gender related||For the purposes of our legitimate interests in holding events for the benefit of sailors.
For the purposes of colleting this information for the SSL Global Ranking
|Reporting gender information to World Sailing||For the purposes of the legitimate interests of the SSL and World Sailing to monitor and maintain diversity|
|Sailor’s name, height, weight, boat class, club, roles (skipper or crew)||Managing the SSL Global Ranking||For the purposes of our legitimate interest of colleting this information for the sailor’s profile for the SSL Global Ranking. This information (used for the SSL Global Ranking) are sent by the sailors or are open to the public, already published on websites (sailor’s website, Wikipedia, sailing federations) or social media.
Consent: we will seek the sailor’s consent. The sailor may withdraw their consent at any time by contacting ……
|Sailor’s name, gender, height, weight boat class, roles (skipper or crew)||Sharing events results with the hosts of the events, and providing event results to local, national and international media||For the purposes of our legitimate interest in operating and promoting the SSL, its events and the sport of sailing|
|Allocating entries at the SSL events based on the rank of the SSL Global Ranking||For the purposes of our legitimate interests in operating the SSL|
|Photos and videos of sailors, coaches, staff and their boats||Posting on the SSL website, books, social media pages and using in press releases||For the purposes of our legitimate interest in operating and promoting the SSL, its events and the sport of sailing|
How We Protect your Personal Data
Your information, including Personal Data, may be transferred to — and maintained on — computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ from those of your jurisdiction.
If you are located outside Switzerland and choose to provide information to us, please note that we transfer the data, including Personal Data, to Switzerland and process it there.
We have implemented generally accepted standards of technology and operational security in order to protect personal data from loss, misuse, or unauthorized alteration or destruction.
The security of your data is important to us but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Data, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
For any payments which we take from you online we will use a recognized online secure payment system.
We will notify you promptly in the event of any breach of your personal data which might expose you to serious risk.
Who else has access to the Information you provide Us?
We will never sell your personal data. We will not share your personal data with any third parties without your prior consent (which you are free to withhold) except where we are required to do so by law or as set out in the table above or in the following paragraph.
We may pass your personal data to third parties who are service providers, licensee, agents and subcontractors to us for the purposes of completing tasks and providing services to you on our behalf. We do this for the purpose of our legitimate interests in operating the SSL, holding events and for performing our contract with you. However, we disclose only the personal data that is necessary for the third party to deliver the service and we have a contract in place that requires them to keep your information secure and not to use it for their own purposes.
How long do we keep your information?
Star Sailors League SA will also retain Usage Data for internal analysis purposes. Usage Data is generally retained for a shorter period of time, except when this data is used to strengthen the security or to improve the functionality of our Service, or we are legally obligated to retain this data for longer periods.
We will hold your personal data on our systems for as long as you are recorded in the SSL Global Ranking, unless it is necessary for us to retain it to comply with our legal obligations or in connection with the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims.
The SSL will retain your name, age, boat class, club, sail number for the purposes of the SSL racing results archive.
We securely destroy all financial information once we have used it and no longer need it.
Disclosure of Data
Disclosure for Law Enforcement
Under certain circumstances, Star Sailors League SA may be required to disclose your Personal Data if required to do so by law or in response to valid requests by public authorities (e.g. a court or a government agency).
Star Sailors League SA may disclose your Personal Data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- To comply with a legal obligation
- To protect and defend the rights or property of Star Sailors League SA
- To prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Service
- To protect the personal safety of users of the Service or the public
- To protect against legal liability
Your Data Protection Rights under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you have certain data protection rights. Star Sailors League SA aims to take reasonable steps to allow you to correct, amend, delete or limit the use of your Personal Data.
If you wish to be informed about what Personal Data we hold about you and if you want it to be removed from our systems, please contact us.
In certain circumstances, you have the following data protection rights:
- The right to access, update or delete the information we have on you. Whenever made possible, you can access, update or request deletion of your Personal Data directly within your account settings section. If you are unable to perform these actions yourself, please contact us to assist you.
- The right of rectification. You have the right to have your information rectified if that information is inaccurate or incomplete.
- The right to object. You have the right to object to our processing of your Personal Data.
- The right of restriction. You have the right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information.
- The right to data portability. You have the right to be provided with a copy of the information we have on you in a structured, machine-readable and commonly used format.
- The right to withdraw consent. You also have the right to withdraw your consent at any time where Star Sailors League SA relied on your consent to process your personal information.
Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity before responding to such requests.
You have the right to complain to a Data Protection Authority about our collection and use of your Personal Data. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority in the European Economic Area (EEA).
For more details, information or request regarding our data processing practices please contact us by email: (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
We may use third-party Service Providers to monitor and analyze the use of our Service.
For more information on the privacy practices of Google, please visit the Google Privacy & Terms web page: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en
We may provide paid products and/or services within the Service. In that case, we use third-party services for payment processing (e.g. payment processors).
Express and Discover. PCI-DSS requirements help ensure the secure handling of payment information.
The payment processors we work with are:
Links to Other Sites
We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third party sites or services.